Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Photoshelter gets me up and running

One of my most pressing tasks for 2009 is getting the photos locked on my hard drive to a viewing (and buying) public. I've looked at several sites, and finally went with Photoshelter (www.photoshelter.com).

I had been on the site's free area for about three months, testing out the programs. But after a webinar in December, I decided to bite the bullet. I purchased the service that gives me a web site, e-commerce, and 35GB of space.

It took me about a half a day to get the site how I liked it, and another couple of days to populate it with some photos. The site claims you can have it up and going in 5 minutes, which is probably possible, but I'm slow.

I'm nowhere near the 35GB of space, but so far it's working well. I have e-commerce for a relatively small fee, and I can give full access to "preferred" clients and bill them how I have in the past.

What it really does is give me a presence on the web that's searchable and looks nice. It's also much easier to post photos to my site (original size) and have clients look there as opposed to sending low-resolution photos.

There are probably easier sites out there, but Photoshelter seems to work well.

My next step is to get my own domain name. I can then link my Photosheter site directly to my own domain, so the client doesn't have to type in a long web site.

Here's the site: http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/moorecommunications
Feel free to look around. I'd be interested in hearing your feedback.

No comments: